Main Article Content
adults, chemotherapy, nephroblastoma, radiotherapy, WT gene
Wilms tumor, also denoted as nephroblastoma, an embryonal type of renal cancer, is the most common cancer that affects children in the first 5 years of life. Wilms tumor is very rarely seen in adults. Both adults and children showcase varied clinical symptoms. The metastasis of tumor in both adults and children are not uncommon. Though histological differences between children and adults are insignificant, the prognosis of adult Wilms tumors compared to children is abysmal. Despite remarkable advancements in oncology, no standard treatment protocol exists for Wilms tumor in adults. Children Wilms tumor treatment protocol is currently followed for adults with some changes. In this article, we reviewed the available treatment options for Wilms tumor in adults and protocols followed widely.
2. Jinhu W, Minju L, Daxing T, Weizhong G, Junqing M, Qiang S. Current treatment for Wilms tumor: COG and SIOP standards. World J Pediatr Surg. 2019 Sep 27;2(3):e000038. 10.1136/wjps-2019-000038
3. Reinhard H, Furtwängler R, Siemer S, Wullich B, Graf N. Wilms-tumor in adults. Der Urologe. 2007 Jul 08;46(7):748–753.
4. Huszno J, Starzyczny-Słota D, Jaworska M, Nowara E. Adult Wilms’ tumor-diagnosis and current therapy. Cent European J Urol. 2013 Apr 26;66(1):39–44. 10.5173/ceju.2013.01.art12
5. Huang JL, Liao Y, An Y, Qiu MX. Spontaneous rupture of adult Wilms’ tumor: A case report and review of the literature. Can Urol Assoc J. 2015 Jul–Aug;9(7–8):E531–4. 10.5489/cuaj.2539
6. Choi YJ, Jung WH, Shin DW, Park, Lyu CJ. Histopathological and immunohistochemical features of Wilms tumor. Korean J Pathol. 1993;27:339–48.
7. de Kraker J, Graf N, van Tinteren H, Pein F, Sandstedt B, et al. SIOP. Reduction of postoperative chemotherapy in children with stage I intermediate-risk and anaplastic Wilms’ tumour (SIOP 93-01 trial): a randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 2004 Oct 2–8;364(9441): 1229–35. 10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17139-0
8. Vujanic´ GM, Sandstedt B, Harms D, Kelsey A, Leuschner I, de Kraker J. SIOP Nephroblastoma Scientific Committee. Revised International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) working classification of renal tumors of childhood. Med Pediatr Oncol. 2002 Feb 38(2):79–82. 10.5114/aoms.2012.30292
9. Leslie SW, Sajjad H, Murphy PB. Wilms Tumor [Internet]. [Updated 2023 Mar 11]. Available from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK442004/
10. Bhatnagar S. Management of Wilms’ tumor: NWTS vs SIOP. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2009 Jan 14(1):6–14. 10.4103/0971-9261.54811
11. D’Angio GJ, Breslow N, Beckwith JB, Evans A, Baum H, deLorimier A, et al. Treatment of Wilms’ tumor. Results of the Third National Wilms’ Tumor Study. Cancer. 1989 Jul 15;64(2):349–60. 10.1002/1097-0142(19890715)64:2<349::aid-cncr2820640202>3.0.co;2-q